These Cats Know How to Negotiate Big Time
I'm in the middle of a negotiation with a friend who provided services for She Negotiates. We're a bit stalled, but we keep coming to the table trying on new solutions. So far, we've agreed to disagree and take a breather.
I think these cats in the video demonstrate our process—the way interest-based negotiation often happens in real life—better than any human interaction I ever seen. Take a look:
The Interest Based Negotiation Process:
- Cooperation (includes play, fun, agility, wit)
- Something happens (we disagree momentarily)
- We stop playing
- Conversation (this is where the negotiation begins, after impasse).
- Cooperation Round 2 (we start playing again, a bit tentatively, but we're at the table in good faith).
- Something happens (a low blow? an unkind word?).
- We stop playing and strike back (tit for tat, right? or else you risk being walked over, right?).
- We lick our wounds and pause.
- Cooperation Round 3 (you try again, but clearly the other side is hissy and strikes a low blow)
- Game Over (for now. perhaps you'll come back to the table tomorrow).
Can you see any parallels in your relationships? Your workplace? Your neighborhood? The boardroom? Congress?